Sunday, June 1, 2014

Tech Post

New apps, digital music service, and social network I'm using... Hopefully you find one of these to be new and helpful, just as I did. Maybe even something you love.


For me, I love Pocket! This application is basically just another way to “bookmark” things online, but in my humble opinion this is by far the best way to do that. Whether its articles, videos, images, or basically whatever you come across while browsing the web, Pocket is the perfect way to save it for later. That is the main way I use this app--saving cool articles or videos I find to view later when I have more time. As an example, when I’m catching up on my twitter feed during lunch I might find three or four really cool links for videos or articles I want to check out, but I don’t have the time to do so. With Pocket, all I have to do is hold the link down on my phone and select the pocket option to store it for another time. It has a wonderfully simplistic interface that can make articles even more enjoyable to read than on the actual websites, and it works seamlessly with both my iPhone and laptop. If you don’t already have a favorite way of saving your interesting finds on the internet I would highly suggest looking into this app.








PasswordBox is another cool app that I have found to help manage the myriad of passwords I have in my repertoire. And it’s free! Posted below is a video that does a good job of explaining what exactly PasswordBox provides.


I am seriously confused and mad at myself for taking so long to try Spotify out. My stubborn ways lead me for years to using YouTube to listen to full albums while studying, or Pandora for a streaming radio service. All this while knowing full well that Spotify existed... Now that I finally have given it a try I haven’t used anything else to listen to music. It is bar none the best digital music service available. If you like music, which most humans with souls do, download Spotify. No question. 

I’m currently using a free 30 day trial for Spotify Premium which allows me to listen to ad free music, improved sound quality, and permits me to download music to listen to offline (saves on phone data if out of range of Wi-Fi). Depending on how much you use it, premium can be a little spendy at $10 a month. However, if you are currently a student at an accredited institution it is only $5 a month! For me this is a no brainer, but some may want to stick with the free version.


Spotify makes my life a little better. It is easy to use, has a beautiful interface, and a huge library of music begging to be listened to. I'll be interested to see what others such as Amazon can come up with in terms of digital music services to compete with it.



I recently created a LinkedIn account for myself during one of the snow days this last semester. I did it for the potential to network with my colleagues and those with similar career aspirations. I also think it’s important to create the best online identity for yourself as possible. I felt that this was one adequate way to do that. For those who don’t know what LinkedIn is, or are just interested in reading more about it, there is a cool article on slate.com with a perspective on the flaws of this social network. 


My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/benjamin-olson/94/150/558


I'm always trying to find ways to make my life simpler, and I've found that these help me do just that. If you agree, or have better suggestions for any of these, please let me know in the comments below! 


No comments:

Post a Comment